Monday, January 3, 2011

Christmas Bird Counts: a pictorial summary (and some yard birds too!)

I participate on two Christmas Bird Counts every season, the Cincinnati, Ohio and East Fork Counts. Here is a quick pictorial summary of some of the best birds that was found by my party or by myself.

Male Ring-necked Duck
David Brinkman and I found a pair of Ring-necked Ducks on a small subdivision pond in Milford, OH (this is the male) on the Cincinnati Count.


Juv. Red-shouldered Hawk
Juvenile Red-shouldered Hawk (A.K.A. "The Palestine Buteo" for those who were at the Cincinnati tally)


Barred Owl
Bob Foppe and I found this Barred Owl in Bethel, OH on the East Fork Count, 1st bird of the day!


Merlin
I found this Merlin near Bethel, OH.


Below are some of the cool birds that I found in the yard recently!


Purple Finch and House Finch (males)
Purple Finch on the left, House Finch on the right (both males).



Golden-crowned Kinglet
Found this Golden-crowned Kinglet feeding on sap wells in the backyard.


*****************


No comments:

Post a Comment