Monday, February 14, 2011

Brooker Creek Reserve - 1st visit


Some type of woodpecker. It didn't have any red on it. 


Same woodpecker as first picture.


Looking down at a row of utility poles. They seem to be a condo for vultures.



Juvenile bald eagle. It's the first time I've seen a juvenile. This picture is highly cropped from my 500mm lens. It was sitting high up on a utility pole and looked like a dark blob.


There were tons of black vultures soaring overhead.

There's a reserve in north Pinellas county called Brooker Creek Reserve. I had heard about it but I had never been there. Several weekends ago I stopped by there before going to Chesnut Park. There's up to 5 miles of trails that you can hike there. They were very well marked. I walked about 2 1/2 miles of it. I did not see very much on the trail. Mostly woodpeckers. It was very quiet. One section of the trail has a bird blind that sits just off a power line trail with a small pond in front of it. The best part was all of the vultures sitting on the utility poles. I noticed a blob sitting off by itself at the top of one pole. When I zoomed in I realized it was a juvenile bald eagle. That was the highlight of my trip.  I've heard the park has turkeys as well as all types of critter roaming including bobcats. I saw non of this. Maybe on my next trip.

Go and check out more MyWorld images at the MyWorld Site! http://showyourworld.blogspot.com/

Also, view more birds at:

No comments:

Post a Comment