Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Beware of the Sapsucker!

There is a sugar maple that is right next to the side door in the yard. Today, while coming into the house from work, a bird flew at me and then quickly put on the brakes and went behind the trunk of the maple tree. I went in to get my binos and camera, and went back out to see what it was.

The bird flew at me again, in an attempt to drive me off. Now I see why. A Yellow-bellied Sapsucker was defending his sap wells against me. I guess it felt I was a threat to his food source.

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker sucking sap

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker


The sapsucker continued to keep its eyes on me.

As I was watching the sapsucker, a Fox Sparrow briefly flew in. Also, this Eastern Bluebird landed very near the sapsucker to see what I was looking at.

Eastern Bluebird
Eastern Bluebird male

And of course there were many chickadees chickadeeing...

Carolina Chickadee
Carolina Chickadee


*****************


No comments:

Post a Comment